Monday, July 27, 2015

Protests

I swear I don't ask for this.  What was planned on being a simple (yet unbelievably hectic) day at the track changed with the very first shot of the starting pistol.

Usually we have our ASM (Asst. sports manager) hold down the fort in the stadium where the SO USA team has our home base.  Athletes can rest there, watch competition, and get ready for the next event. Our day was crazy, so I took over that duty-or so I thought.  The 10,000 meter race is the second longest and we had 3 athletes running right away in the coolness of the morning (cool for California).  25 laps on a track-ouch, usually 10ks are run on the road.  Our 2 coaches were diligent in count laps and taking splits.  About midway, our runners looked good-Karen in 2nd, and Alex and Josh sitting in at 2nd and 3rd place in their divisions.  Josh seemingly had difficulty with the warming day and pulled off the the track after making a good pass on a Mexican runner.  Alex followed suit. Those placings remained for the remainder of the race until......officials pulled off the Mexican runner one lap early!  Now results show Alex in 2nd!

Red flag for me-as head coach I need to file a protest within 1/2 hr of results being posted.  Leaving my post at camp, I ran to the sports desk to fill out the appropriate paperwork.  I wasn't the first coach there.  6 Protests from different countries were files-not  just on our incident, but several others in including Canada, who had their athlete pulled 4 laps too early!  No one waited for results to be posted (which never were this day).

My description of the race was penned quickly on the official form and it was slipped into a stack of paper for all other coaches-I felt my argument had a chance. Nope. Denied. A hand written reply stated that our runner and the Mexican did the same number of laps and results would stand.

Crap.  It's hard to rectify anything after that point.  Canada's was denied as well.  They would appeal and encouraged me to do the same.  I do.  At this point a jury of appeals should be convened and the facts looked at.  Nothing changed, awards were handed out (and to add insult to injury, Alex was redivisioned and ended up 4th!  So what should have been a gold medal was now a 4th place ribbon.  Try explaining this who scenario to the parents.  You can't.

These things happen and it's the most frustrating because it's not far to the athlete who has worked so hard to be here and do their best.  It's not over-as I sit here in the dark, I'll be emailing the jury, which we believe was never brought together to look at our appeals.  Stay tuned.

Eventually I did resume my post at our "camp" but it seemed like I didn't get to watch many races-always running around putting out little fires it seemed.  My assistant coaches are the best and they cover each other so well.  Athletes are awesome and remain the "go-with-the-flow" attitude.  It's much appreciated.

I anticipated the daily head coaches meeting may be a bit fiery with all that happened, but it really wasn't.  There was a huge problem with athletes staying in their lanes for the 100 meter dash because of difficult track markings, but no matter the questions for the head coaches (yes, including that American coach-me) our logical arguments to fix the situation (for the sake of the athletes) was ignored.  The HC meetings are really a joke-they turn into loud uninformative wastes of time.  I leave it feeling disappointed.

Although it was a super long day, and I'd miss a shower after the long day and just meet the team for dinner, it went well in the end.  Lot's of our athletes had  great performances, and although not everything was fair, I tried not to let it sour the first full day of competition.

For me, after a semi-cold diner at the dining hall with the team, it was rush back, do 2 loads of laundry, clean up and conduct a meeting with the athletes and later one detailing our next day with the coaching staff.  Long day, but we got it done.

Today starts easier-fewer of our team start the day, but it'll be full bore later with 100s and 200s....and hopefully my pen will stay tucked away from any official paperwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment